County lifts burn ban

LAWTON – Comanche County’s burn ban is over.

 

The Comanche County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously Monday to lift the prohibition on outdoor burning, based on a recommendation from Emergency Management Director Clint Langford.

 

Langford asked a group of fire chiefs to vote on whether to continue the ban Sunday, and they decided to end it, he said.

 

“We had an overwhelming majority, 17 against the burn ban and only three for, so I recommend that we let the burn ban expire,” he said.

 

The county first imposed a ban on outdoor burning in December 2021 and lifted it briefly in late February because county officials expected cold, wet weather at the end of that week. Officials reinstated the ban in early March, after drier weather returned.

 

After extending the burn ban several times since then, the county commission voted April 25 to keep it in place – but only for another seven days.

 

The ban prohibited fires on any type of wild land, including forest land. Starting campfires, lighting bonfires and burning items that could cause a grass fire were also outlawed.